Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Prepping"

I don't know if I told all of you,  but the kids and I are headed East for my brother Wally's wedding for a little over 2 weeks and we leave on Saturday.  I am more than excited to spend so much quality time with family, but also not at all looking forward to the actual getting there.  I've managed to get myself to a place of calm acceptance..after all, it's not the first time I've flown with them, so I know what to do and what to expect.  It'll be whatever it is and then it'll be over and I'll be in Boston with my sister!  Hooray!

Anyway, the other day my sister Emily asked if I was going crazy getting ready for the trip and I had to laugh out loud because I'm just so not.  I am one of the biggest procrastinators I know and there is no way I could ever wrap my brain around how people manage to pack for trips like this ahead of time.  Everything I bring with me is everything I use on a daily basis and I don't have some magical second pair of favorite jeans or more than two or three "it'll have to do because it's the only thing that fits me" tops.  Plus (I'm going out on a limb with mild confidence here, based on a recent conversation I had with my sister, that many of you ladies out there will nod in agreement when I say), I have ONE BRA that I wear every day.  When I have to wash it I wear an ill-fitting Spanks tank top and a baggy sweatshirt.  Who am I kidding?  If weather permits, I'll happily wear said baggy sweatshirt every single day...although I do have at least 3 of those to rotate throughout the week.  So, I ask you, how could I possibly pack any earlier than after the very last load of laundry is done before the trip?  I guess I could pack my bathing suit, but  I'm not even sure I'll be needing that this trip.  Seems a shame to have the stupid suitcase out and in our way for 2 days just so I can feel like  I'm "getting ready" if all I can put in there is a swimsuit and maybe my travel toiletries.  Anyway, the kids would have a field day with a half-packed suitcase just laying around my bedroom.  I feel quite sure I'd end up repacking that sucker at least 15 times before Saturday rolled around.  The kids stuff isn't exactly the same reasoning, but basically we bring what we wear and whatever we leave behind is either not appropriate for the season or we don't really like it that much.  It's okay though...I actually do pretty well under pressure and if I've ever had a conversation with you about my inability to enjoy chocolate, cookies or cake in moderation you already know that I'm an "all or nothing" kind of gal.  I guess it applies to packing for me too...once I get started on it, I can't relax until the suitcase is full, zipped and waiting by the back door.

What I have been better about this time though, is steadily taking care of work obligations and crossing stuff off of the "to do" list...not the one that I make and complete every day (another reason why I can't fathom getting ready for something that is days away when sometimes it's all I can do to get through THIS one) but the annoying "to do at some point"list.  I did so well with it this week that I even did a few things a day or two before I told myself I had to do it or else!  So Saturday will get here and I will somehow get ready.  My goal is to head East with nothing on my mind but getting there and enjoying it.

Just to sneak them in here in case I don't get a chance to share before we go....here are a few fun things about the last couple of days:

Zoe and I made an impromptu mini teepee on our patio the other day.  We just did it for fun, but the fairies surprised her with a thank you note in the morning.



Sprinkling "magic dust" on it


Today, just before taking Zoe to school I was working diligently on getting the kitchen cleaned up before heading out the door.  I wiped down the counters and said loudly as I headed out to the patio where the kids were playing quietly: "Okay guys I'm done cleaning the kitchen--who's ready to go to sch---"  and this was what I found.  A prime example of how you have to just go with the flow sometimes...I am always encouraging them to get messy, after all....



We went out for a walk earlier and Owen INSISTED on wearing this hat.  I just love this kid.


We had our monthly Kids Art Group/Young Scientists get together this afternoon.  We made paper mache volcanoes!  We used the flour/water version for our paste and didn't cut the tops off of the water bottles, though and it all seemed to go well. We plan to paint them and blow them up next month.




I think all of us ended up using masking tape to help hold the mold in place before adding the strips with the paste.



Anyway, if you don't hear from me for a few weeks, you'll know why!  Later, dudes!

2 comments:

  1. Have an incredible time! And I'm totally with you on the one bra thing, one pair of jeans, three shirts thing. Glad it's not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the thank-you note from the fairies. You're so thoughtful, Sarah! I miss you, and I hope you're having a wonderful time out with your fam!

    ReplyDelete