Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend with Daddy!

Yay!  We had a FULL weekend with Daddy.  Finally!  It's been so long since we all had a couple of days to just enjoy being together and we really made the most of it.  The weather is so beautiful and it's supposed to be awesome all week so it was an added bonus to an already great weekend.

Friday Zoe and I hung around the house while Nathan finished up the work week...she spent at least a half hour that day trying to figure out how to fly.  I mean, she was flapping her hands and everything...jumping on the bed, tentatively flapping her little hands as fast as she could and once in a while really giving it a go and picking her feet up.  She never did officially get off the ground but she had an awesome time doing it, which is the most important part.  Later in the day I made some "Oobleck" for her.  I always think of my sister Jill when I make it because she was the one that introduced it to us when we were little and I remember it being a favorite activity for a while...if you've never made it before give it a try, even if you don't have kids. Just mix together corn starch and water until the consistency is kind of thick but also gooey.  I also added food coloring to it and made a few bowls of it.  Of course, she was only into it for about 10 minutes until she decided it was too weird, but it's easy to make and easy to clean up and it brings back great memories for me, so I called it a success!



 Then on Friday night, we had pizza/movie night with the May-Ostendorps.  It's become a tradition and we're soaking them up as much as we can before they ditch us and move back to Durango this summer.  Boo.  We usually order pizza, but this time we made homemade pizza...dough from scratch and all!  Mariah, always the one with the most amazing ideas ever, brought along some stuff to make dessert pizzas too...they were the most delicious thing I've tasted in a long time....so good....chocolate, butterscotch, marshmallows...can't beat it.
Saturday, we attempted a "snow picnic" with the very same May-Ostendorp clan.  It was kind of a bust because we got all the way up there and realized I had no cell service, which wasn't alright since I was on duty this weekend.  I went home with Owen, and everyone else stayed and did their best to make it happen but I'm not sure it was what we all had in mind.  Still, always good to get some sledding in.

In the afternoon, we took the kids to the rec center to swim.  It was Owen's first time swimming and he seemed to love it and Zoe, as always, had so much fun she didn't want to leave.  They also have a hot tub there, much to mine and Nathan's more than pleasant surprise...I've been dreaming about sitting in a hot tub for a few months now, so that was A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Finally today was the most beautiful day all weekend, and the first of a week's worth of expected gorgeous days here.  I think it may have been in the 60's!  After getting some chores done in the morning, we headed outside.  Zoe on her two-wheeler and me with Owen in the carrier.  (Nathan had a couple of errands to run for a bit).  Zoe headed straight for the creek path--the first time on it with her two-wheeler, and I had no choice but to follow.  It was so nice to stroll along behind her, watching her get the hang of the rules of riding like a big girl with all the other people enjoying the beautiful day.  She was ringing her little bike bell at every person she passed and that passed her, even if she was standing still holding her bike.  She said it was her way of saying "On Your Left!".  Good girl.

I had a funny moment this morning when Zoe asked "Who built you?...How?...Who built me?"  I'm being put to the test here all of the sudden with the life and death questions and I'm not sure I handled it perfectly, but I'm told no one feels like they do.  I can only hope that my children will have at least SOME idea of how everything works before it's time for them to leave for college, but I can only do my best!

No comments:

Post a Comment